Tuesday 16 February 2010

An introduction to Urbantri

It's striking how much people prefer to clamour into a gym when all one needs is a bit of floor space for bodyweight exercises, or a quiet block to run round, not to mention that exercising within the home is the cheaper alternative to the gym.

I am sure that I'm not the only one who enjoys watching those who do things like the L-kick, the planche, the elbow lever, the dash vault, the splits, the spinning inside crescent kick, headstand and so on. However, the moves I just mentioned are found throughout several sports. Tricking is one of the few athletic endeavours that seems to be comprised of other sports as well as standing as a sport within itself. Therefore, Urbantri (or urban tricks) is my way of labelling all these moves into one category, as I love them ALL.

Sports include (but aren't limited to)
  • Parkour
  • Free running
  • Wushu
  • Capoeira
  • Martial Arts
  • Tricking
  • Contortionism
  • Bodyweight calisthenics
  • Dancing (eg. breakdancing)
  • Gymnastics
  • Running (yes, that requires nothing except maybe good running shoes, and clothes, obviously)
I will research and post each sport and as many of their moves/exercises as I can as well as my attempts at some of the beginner level ones.

1 comment: